Wednesday, May 04, 2011

@morganspurlock Sellout? When art and cash collide - Chicago Sun-Times

My husband is a movie junkie. I am not. Last weekend, he dragged me to Morgan Spurlock’s quirky new film, “POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold.”

It’s a movie about trying to make a movie about trying to sell a movie. In other words, an all-American tale.

I missed Spurlock’s 2004 documentary, “Super Size Me,” but yours truly, the Fat Nag, delighted in his crusade to get the fat out of McDonald’s.

The Nag avoids the cineplex for two good reasons: The 1,000-plus calories in a bag of buttered popcorn is far too tempting, and the obnoxious previews are way too long.

Still, in the name of marital compromise, I caught Spurlock’s quest for product plugs, pitches and cold, hard corporate cash. Popcorn aside, I have no regrets. Spurlock was shameless. Watching him work was better than a box of chocolate-covered Raisinets. Read More

No comments: